Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Creating Brave Space Storytime with The Center for Cognitive Diversity
Trauma Informed Guest Lecture Series
[Image: Cover slide from ‘Brave Space Storytime: Navigating our obstacles with children’s stories’]
Brave Space Storytime
A recording of Saturday,November 13, 2021 guest lecture with Ashia Ray of Raising Luminaries and April Brown of the Center for Cognitive Diversity.
We can’t shut off the 60-second auto-advance. To access screen-reader, braille support, and to view the slides without auto-advance, view on Google Slides. With the exception of Zoom icons on slide 2 and a QR code that leads to the padlet below, all images on the slides are decorative.
[She/her] April is a parent, educator, child advocator, and coach for the Center of Cognitive Diversity supporting educators in shifting from a compliance-based model of education to one of liberation and place-based experiences. April is a co-founder of the Student Ignition Society, a growing community of educators developing social-justice-oriented practices in early childhood education.
[They/She] Ashia is a multiracial Autistic disability rights educator and the Head Custodian of Raising Luminaries, founder of Books for Littles, and co-founder of the Student Ignition Society. They are an Autistic mom born and raised on the traditional lands of the Wampanoag and Massachusett people, currently homeschooling a 7- and 9-year-old.
- 5 Types of Children’s Books to Combat Bias
- Trauma Informed Microcourse For both caregivers & teachers – follow this free asynchronous micro-course at your own pace.
- Self-Affirming Art Activity via Revolutionary Humans
- Kids Stories About Restorative Justice
- The Mourning Doves – Photo documentary on single parenting & homeschooling a child with PTSD in a family created through transracial adoption.
- Trauma-Informaed Parenting in a Pandemic
- Kids books Validating Big Feelings
- Validating Stories for Adopted Kids
- 5 Things Every Kid Should Know About Disability
- All My Sons Deserve Respect: Why Complex Black Boy Representation Matters
- How to Read ‘Pretty Salma’ – preparing kids to identify coercion and grooming
- Validating Stories for Kids Experiencing Domestic Violence
- The Center for Cognitive Diversity’s Resources for Students, Educators & Caregivers
- Validating Stories for Kids with Incarcerated Family
- When Schools Cause Trauma
- Podcast: 3 Creepy Parenting Habits That Keep Us from Raising Resilient Leaders
- How to talk about hard topics iwth kids – building courage & resilience with bedtime stories
- The Student Ignition Society
- I’m autistic. I just turned 36 — the average age when people like me die.
- Center for Cognitive Diversity Youtube Channel
Stay Curious, Stand Courageous, and Build Brave Spaces