Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Since we’re a contribute-what-you can community, I try to fill in the gaps with affiliate links. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
When is it?
- On the first Monday of September
- Choose one product your family invests in (example: a new backpack or school supplies).
- With a web search, how difficult is it to find the following information:
Where did you buy it? Who transported it to you? Who assembled it? Who gathered the materials from the earth?
- Is it difficult to find out whether all of these people were paid enough to support their families? What are their working conditions like?
- If you hire childcare, house cleaners, or work for a company who hires cleaners and care workers – how can you incorporate the principles of the National Domestic Workers Alliance? Whether it’s sharing transparent family policies on how you will support your sitter after exposure to Covid to using your vote to empower care workers, there’s something in there for everybody.
Additional resources to dig deeper into this topic: