Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Let’s Learn About Giving Tuesday
This one is pretty straightforward – what does it mean to care for each other when some of us have plenty, and others have less?
When is it?
- The first Tuesday following Indigenous Day of Mourning.
The Earthquakes get more excited about donating after reading these books than they do about buying toys or candy for themselves. They are effective. These were the four books that got the Earthquakes most enthusiastic about donating, without any prompting from me:
- What is the power dynamic between our family and the ones in these stories? Who holds the power to change things?
- Join Giving What Is Needed (Most) workshop on 11/18/22 at 1-1:50p EST for When We Gather members (click here to join).
- What local action (including donating online) can we take to help the families in these stories?
- What guidelines and circumstances does our family use to tell when we have enough to donate? When do we know it’s time to ask for help?
- How can we maximize our impact by giving monthly, sharing these ideas with our friends, or building contributions into the way we earn money and receive gifts?
- Identify your donation budget, and have a discussion with the kiddos on how they would like to distribute it.
Additional resources to dig deeper into this topic:
- Galvanizing Kids Books About Poverty Inspiring Kids To Give Back
- Kids Books on Courageous Generosity
- Smashing Wealth Inequality: a 7-part series for parents raising kind & courageous kiddos
- Looking for good organizations to donate to? In 2021, I redirected over 12% of my patreon contributions to these organizations and causes, I recommend starting with this list.