Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Join The Movement: #FamilySummer4BlackLives
Imagine twenty years from now – when our kids will look back and remember the Summer of 2020.
What they will remember is – through all the pain and hardship and death – they did something good. They had a hand in changing the world for the better.
This could be the summer that changes everything.
Join us for our FREE summer-long virtual initiative. Each month, families with young kids will gather for one at-home* collaborative action.
We’ll provide the resources and tools you need, and you never have to leave home to participate. From virtual watch parties, reflection prompts, family guided discussion supports, and more. Events will be social-distance safe, easy for overwhelmed caregivers to coordinate, and neurodiverse, and sensory-friendly.
By the end of this summer, families who are feeling lost and overwhelmed talking about the racial injustice in the world will affirm: WE ARE AN ANTI-RACIST FAMILY AND WE ARE TAKING ACTION.
By September 2020, your kids will be able to answer with pride:
- Who are we? What is my racial identity?
- How do I use my feelings about racial injustice to help?
- What is my role in fighting racism?
- How can I make anti-racism a part of my everyday life?
Put it in your calendar:
*We’ve got a packed calendar of events, but families who are overextended, managing disabilities, and who can’t make the action dates are welcome to participate at a slower pace. Adjust your schedule as needed – but for non-Black families of color & white families, do the work and block off some time in your calendar.
Month 1: Wee Chalk The Walk
- Help kids understand systemic racism and what they can do about it.
- Support kids in working through overwhelm and despair into empowerment and change-making.
- Model how to move from inner reflection work to community advocacy.
- Find out how the Black Lives Matter movement started (hint: with a love letter).
- Learn how to talk about your family’s racial identity and role in anti-racism work.
- Model what it means to stand in solidarity with families impacted by anti-Blackness.
Month 3: Create a Family Manifesto
- Create a Family Manifesto to affirm who you are and what you stand for.