Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Voter Registration & Election Day
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Let’s Learn About Voting & Elections
Teaching kids not just about the power of our vote, but the ways voting rights have been (and continue to be) denied to targeted people, and the importance of voting in smaller, local elections.
When is it?
- The first Tuesday following the first Monday of November
- Lillian’s Right to Vote (ages 6-9)
- Amelia Bedelia’s First Vote (ages 4-8)
- A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo (ages 4-9)
- Act (ages 8+)
- Who in our community has the right to vote?
- Who is blocked from voting? Who is blocking them? Why?
- What are voting rights and who we believe should have access to them?
- Why is voting in small, local elections just as important as big national elections?
- Who makes laws in your state? What have they done so far?
- Kids Voting Activities via Moms Rising
- US Voters: Sign up for election reminders
- Practice election: Are there any rules, decisions, or family events we could hold up for a vote?
- How can we influence local elections, even if we don’t have voting rights?
Additional resources to dig deeper:
- Books on Elections, Politics & Democracy for Kids
- Your Vote Counts: A Self-Advocate’s Guide to Voting in the US, easy-read edition
- Trans Formations Project: Check whether your state legislators have sponsored or voted on any anti-trans bills.