Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Censorship, Book Bans & Let Freedom Read Day
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Let’s Explore Censorship & Book Bans
When is it?
- Banned Books week takes place October 1-7
Read About Resisting Censorship
Read A Banned Book
Roughly in age order for younger readers to older readers
- Antiracist Baby
- They She He Easy as ABC
- Who’s In My Family?
- And Tango Makes Three
- Milo’s Museum
- Where Willy Went
- Uncle Bobby’s Wedding
- In The Night Kitchen
- Heather Has Two Mommies
- Prince & Knight
- Something Happened In Our Town
- The Lorax
- Nasreen’s Secret School
- A Day In The Life of Marlon Bundo
- I Am Jazz
- Sex is a Funny Word
- A Light in the Attic
- A Place Inside of Me
- Baseball Saved Us
- In Our Mothers’ House
- The Hill We Climb
- This One Summer
- The Hate U Give
- Say Her Name
- What’s the difference between banning a book, and just not liking or recommending it?
- Why was this book banned? Where can we find out?
- What were adults worried kids would learn from this book?
- Do you agree with everything this book says?
- How can you learn more about any parts you disagree with – and why others might disagree with you?
- Tell a friend about the banned book you read, and why it was banned.
- Buy a banned book from a BIPOC LGBTQiA2S+ founded micro publisher, like Reflection Press
- Report censorship when books are challenged and banned in your community
- Ask an adult to help you start a banned book club.
- Help a librarian create a banned book display.
- Tell the Secretary of Education you oppose book bans in public schools (petition via Moms Rising)
- Write a letter or email of support to authors whose books have been banned, such as Zetta Elliott, author of Milo’s Museum and A Place Inside of Me.
- Find more Let Freedom Read Day Actions
- Unite Against Book Bans Action Toolkit
- Join the Luminary Braintrust and get access to our Resource Library, including worksheets, downloads, and videos to help you raise critical readers