Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
Autistic Pride Day
Raising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Since we’re a contribute-what-you can community, I try to fill in the gaps with affiliate links. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
You don’t have to be Autistic to celebrate and support Autistic on pride day. Given the symbollic nature of these stories, they work for celebrating all types of neurodiversity.
- Autistic Pride Day is 6/18
- Red: A Crayon’s Story
- Pokko And The Drum
- West Meadows Detectives
- Wiggles, Stomps & Squeezes Calm My Jitters Down
Family Activity & Discussion
- Based on the chart in Understanding the Spectrum, have kids and caregivers each create a spectrum chart of their abilities and challenges.
- In what ways does each of us need support? What does that support look like?
- In what ways can we use our skills to support each other other?
- Share out the AWNN’s Autistic People of Color Fund. Donate if you can.
- Visit the ASAN Action Center, specifically the Action Alerts for scripts and templates to support civil rights legislation for Autistic folks as it comes up. The actions take like 6 seconds and it’s very accessible for folks with executive functioning disabilities.
- Bookmark this page and save it for when your favorite people realize they’re Autistic and need resources. (They’re your favorite people for a reason.)
Dig deeper with these resources:
- Kids Books Celebrating Neurodiversity
- Non-Shamey Guides for Autistic Kiddos
- Just now discovering you’re Autistic? Congrats! Welcome To The Autistic Community!
- Pass the Mic to #ActuallyAutistic BIPOC: studiously compiled by Jules Edwards an an Ojibwe Autistic mother of Autistic kiddos.
- Anti-Ableism & Expanding Our Cultural Perspective A discussion on Autistic communication with Autistic advocates Saunatina Sanchez & Ashia Ray
- Autism Bewareness Day
- Validating Stories for Autistic Kids
- Tilt Podcast with Raising Luminaries: How supremacy divides the Neurodiversity community.
- Books For The Next Generation Of Kind & Brilliant Leaders