Get monthly email updates when I add new resources to our Family Action Toolkits
American Asian & Pacific Islander Self-Advocacy
aising Luminaries & Books for Littles are free and accessible for readers who can’t afford a paywall. Since we’re a contribute-what-you can community, I try to fill in the gaps with affiliate links. Posts may contain affiliate links, which allow me to earn a commission at no extra cost to you. Check out the full affiliate disclosure along with my statement of accountability.
Let’s Explore Asian & Pacific Islander History, Culture, and Self-Advocacy
I have way too many resources to share and no time to create a spinoff website to organize it all. So for now: SO MANY RESOURCES BELOW!
Click here for the full collection: 75+ Stories about Asian & Pacific Islander History & Culture
You’re not going to cover this in school. So pick a few books to read this May about Asian & Pacific Islander History.
- Watch How positive stereotypes do harm
- Read more #OwnVoices Asian & Pacific Islander Kidlit
- Learn how to spot tokenism in kidlit.
- Discuss with your kids why all the books about AAPI are about food, and how to be a better lunch date, with Delicious Kids Books That Dismantle Anti-Asian Racism.
- Revisiting the issue of disqualification within the AAPI community, understand how the model minority myth silences and targets us.
- Learn how to spot the model minority myth in kidlit.
- Learn how to support AAPI publishers and makers in telling our own stories: Circumventing White Fragility With Adorable Books by Mango & Marigold Press and The Sikh Identity by Saffron Press .
- Wrapping it back around to destigmatizing MHC and anti-sanism: Support the work of the Asian Mental Health Collective. Share out the APA care package. If you’re white, please stop telling Asians to ‘just go find a therapist‘ because it is really hard to find a culturally responsive therapist or mental health support.
- Learn how to respond When you’re Invited To a Racist Birthday Party: Scripts for Handling the Violence of White Peoples ‘Good Intentions’
- Push your local school to teach kids about Japanese Internment and observe Fred Korematsu Day.
Take Action: Allies & Accomplices
- Adults: Register for free virtual training on bystander intervention to stop anti-Asian/American and Xenophobic harassment
Take Action: For AAPI
- AAPI Care Package
- Destigmatize Mental Health care in the AAPI Community
- Free virtual training: How to Respond when targeted by anti-Asian harassment
More Resources to Dig Deeper
[Video: Radical Cram School: Grace Lee Boggs]
- Vincent Chin & The Birth of The Asian American Rights Movement
- Kids Books: Asian & Pacific Islander History
- Delicious Asian & Pacific Islander Food Culture for Kids
- #OwnVoices Asian & Pacific Islander Kidlit
- Pacific Islander Kids Stories
- Normalizing AAPI characters in kidlit
- Why Each Generation Repeats Atrocities: Japanese American Internment & more stories of Japanese American Internment
- #OwnVoices Chinese American Kids Stories
- The Sikh Identity with Saffron Press
- Circumventing White Fragility With Adorable Books by Mango & Marigold Press
- Delicious Kids Books That Dismantle Anti-Asian Racism
- How We Reinforce The Model Myth with Polar Bear Island
- Unpacking Tokenism in a Boy Called Bat
- Panda stories that do not racially code East Asians as Perpetual Foreigners
- Destigmatizing Emotional & Mental Health for Asian & Pacific Islander Kids
- Delicious stories celebrating AAPI food culture
- How postitive stereotypes do harm
- John Oliver explains Asian American identities to non-Asians
- They ALL Eat Worms In China: Orientalism in Kidlit
- The Rise of the Asian Best Friend Trope
- Watch this Simpsons scene on scapegoating (best for kids 4+).
Family Movie Night Reviews for Luminary Braintrust Members
- Kung Fu Panda
- Kung Fu Panda 2
- Kung Fu Panda 3
- Turning Red
- Wish Dragon
- Guardian brothers
- Raya and the Last Dragon
- Big Hero 6
- Next Gen